Elective - Hardware Hacking
1 quarter / 8 weeks / 2 hours per week
Students work in groups of max. 5 people.
For each assignment the group delivers:
- Textual description of the the concept (+/- 1 A4)
- Visual research, sketches
- Cast, who is responsibale for what?
- Short video registration of the prototype / end result (each group is responsible for filming and editings of their finished works)
The documentations described above is required to be assessed.
Assignment 1 – Transformation
Create an analog image or object (2D or 3D) with homemade or found
objects that take on a new meaning through sound. By
interaction with the help of the Makey Makey sounds are coupled to the image.
Think: soundscapes / lyrics / words / street noises, etc.
Through the insteraction a substantive transformation takes place.
The central question is: How can you give a new meaning to an object or image through the use of sound.
Duration 3 weeks:
- week 1 concept developments / first sketches.
- week 2 develop demo using the Makey Makey.
- Week 3 presentation prototype.
- About the Makey Makey
- Getting started with Processing
- Add the Minim sound library to processing! (From the Processing menu choose 'sketch -> import library -> add library')
- Download Template
- Download Template from Github
- The student can use / apply the Makey Makey within his or her own work.
- The student is able to trigger different sounds handle physical objects with the aid of the computer.
- The student can give a new meaning to an existing object through the use of sound.
- Concept development and research into the various possibilities of the Makey Makey.
- Technical skills and realization of the prototype.
- Selected form of presentation, how the prototype is presented.
- Personal development, being able to develop new insights.
- Collaboration; being able to make an active contribution, meeting appointments and agreements, take responsibility.
50% of total score
Assignment 2 – Tactile Email
In the first lesson you make a short email (or tweet, sms, chat.....). This mail can be a declaration of love, a business communication, a (politically) engaged expression , etc. Consider carefully who the sender is , which argument is taken, and in what state of mind the author of the mail is ( eg .: angry, love , sad , stressed ) .
You will construct this mail (text) again using analog objects. In class you will learn how to disassemble a keyboard; linking buttons to spatial objects, making a character tactile / physical.
Go look for objects, shapes, materials that translate the content of the mail. Think carefully about the interaction with the object in relation to the written text. What characteristics of an object fit the text.
During the final presentation you (re) construct the mail again with the objects ( the prototype).
Duration 6 weeks:
- Week 1: write a short mail and translate it to touch, shape and materials.
- Week 2 + 3: develop a demo using parts of a computerkeyboard
- Week 4: presentatie first prototype. (At least 3 letters should be working)
- Week 5: tweak and rehearse
- Week 6: presentation of the prototype.
- The student can analyze a text and convert it into a tactile / physical interface.
- The student is able to create a physical interface using parts of a keyboard.
- Concept development and research. On the basis of language; how shape and affect can be used as an interface.
- Technical knowledge and skills regarding the realization of the prototype.
- Presentation, how the prototype is presented.
- Personal development, be able to develop new insights.
- Cooperation; being able to make an active contribution, meet appointments, take responsibility.
50% of total score
Requirement to assess
- Textual description of the concept (+/- 1 A4)
- A visual research, sketches
- Role, what was your responsibility during the job right?
- Short video recording of the prototype / end result (for each group you responsible for filming and editing of the final result)
Each student delivers a selfreflection based on the 2 assignments in which his or her contribution within the group becomes clear. Next to that analyse the process, and take into account what went well or less well, ie where you personally could benefit from a continued effort. You have the option to deliver your selfreflection in the form of a written pdf, or a short video.